Friday, June 10, 2011

The Elusive "Mr. Right"



I received a text a few days ago
from a very special friend. In her text, she wrote the following:


"Did you hear I found Mr. Right?!"

I, ofcourse, freaked out and replied, "OMG!!! Who?" Considering that we are both single, I thought maybe God showed her a glimpse of her dream guy.... because it's important to have some sort of idea.

"He gives me eternal life. He walks on water. He is Perfect!! He shines like the sun. He will never leave me. He is a Prince! He died for me! He knows the desires of my heart. He opens the door. he loves me!! I FOUND MR. RIGHT!!!!"
Sad to say, I was disappointed. I had wanted something thrilling. Something exciting out of an oh-so ordinary life. Becuase, you know, after you've seen one customer, you've pretty much seen them all. After you take the same route home every. single. day, you've definitely no risk of getting lost. After your sister gets married and the wedding bells have stopped ringing for over a week, life seems so bland. The romance of it all escapes you.

That's where it helps to have someone like my dear friend remind me of the ultimate romance. The ultimate sacrifice made by...made by love.

And a very special book comes to mind. Now, I know you are thinking the Bible, but in this case, I have to say no. The book is called "Never the Bride". I read it during a very trying time in my life, as did my sister who is six years older than I. She was in sheer desperation and curiosity of who would be her special "Mr. Right". We both went on a journey during the time we read page 1 and concluded with page 100- something.

It showed me a visual of who Jesus is. Of just how much he loves me. In that book, He told me just what my soul had been yearning to hear. That I am loved. I am special. I am worthwhile. In that book, Jesus dined with me. He cooked for me. He cried with me. He understood. my. pain.

In that book, I didn't marry who I thought was perfect for me. I married Him. I fell in love with Him first. And it was just what I had wanted all along. No more purple pen ideologies. No more hollow dreams of Mr. Right. I learned that surrendering my special "purple pen" is indispensible. Not surrendering my imagination, hopes, dreams, or aspirations for my future- "one and only", but letting God make the Ultimate decision.

Needless to say, my sister was engaged a few weeks after terminating the last chapter of the book. I make it sound as though the book made it happen. I know. But in my opinion, it kind of did. When she finished the book, she concluded a chapter in her life. The chapter that ends with surrendering her purple pen and diary, filled with hopes of her future wealthy, Italian husband, and all. Surrendering that to her here and now.

To all my Fellow Single Female Friends:

Let us surrender our Purple Pen, dispose of our doubts. After all, we are surrendering to the One who CREATED romance... 

1 comment:

  1. So true. Its easy to forget that we have a God who loves us more than anyone in the world. But that's why God gave us His word and the Holy Spirit, to always let us know how much He cares and loves us. I hope someday soon all of us can say what our dear friend has said...."He gives me eternal life....."

    ReplyDelete