Friday, June 17, 2011

It's Not Really Yours...


“Nothing that you have not given away will ever be really yours.”

After I read this quote... I was touched. I felt like quitting my job and taking the first trip to Columbia, where there are hundreds of orphanages packed with abandoned children in Bogota. I felt like giving away all of my belongings and donating them to the Salvation Army. Like shaving off my hair and giving it to someone going through chemo.


***I felt like not being me.***
Like not being selfish. Not holding back love. Because by not giving love, love will really never be mine. By not telling someone else I have forgiven them, forgiveness will never be mine. If I don't learn to let go of a piece of chocolate, no one else will ever think to give me one... in time of necessity. So, point in case:

"Nothing that you have not given away will ever be really yours."

If I don't give up some of my time, my time will never be mine. I will belong to the clock. I will be controlled by the clock.

But last week at church, I was taken back to Jesus' times. The times when showing your necessity with no regard for what others around you think is in itself, a necessity.
...A young mother ran inside of our church with her three small, defenseless children. The father followed behind. With a key in his hand. The key he used to slash her throat. I froze in that moment, not knowing how to react. My perfectly timed clock froze. I saw pain. I witnessed the hard reality of life.

Inside was the woman and her children crying. Outside was the father crying. He was fighting the tears, but they were still coming.
"I can't change.
NO. NO. No. I can't."

And I realized.... This is what we are here for. For the broken. The hurt. To cry with them. To grow with them. Leave aside differences and simply love.

So let's give love. Then we will receive it in our hearts until it blooms. Blooms until it can bloom no more.

Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. A few quotes come to mind:
    "And the moral of that is- Oh, 'tis love, that makes the world go round!"
    -Lewis Carroll
    "Love so amazing, so divine,demands my soul, my life."-Issac Watts

    ReplyDelete