Monday, March 31, 2014

"How About I Take You Out for Lunch?"






I'm posting an old blog dated 2012. Here goes:


It's nice to be liked. To be coddled and noticed.

It's what keeps females females.

And it's what got a smile on my face this morning while I was sitting at work with a less-than-enthusiastic face. Not exactly in my best moment.
But as soon as I got the call, I had a boosted level of... well, LIFE.
It may sound so overrated. Call me a girl. That's what I am.

After having visited a high school for an on-site work project, I was pretty much overwhelmed with all the people I met that day and the parents that had left me phone numbers where I had to follow up within the week.

A nice young teacher had approached me a couple of times and asked to have one of the candies I had sitting on the table. The type of specimen you would find at your local Starbucks drinking a latte, while typing a hundred words per minute, thinking about how he is a step closer to his Master's degree.

Well, after having picked up one of my cards... He called and asked for me at work. He gave me the nice "I need help with my finances" pick-up line and led me to believe he really wanted to buy a new home. Maybe. Maybe not.  But he finally got to the point of his call when he said:

"So, I'm sorry if It might sound direct and inappropriate, but is it okay if I take you out for lunch soon?" (I added the bold and italics to give you an idea of the way this guy asked.)

Well, nice try, Robert, you did not get a date, but you sure made a small part of my day. Don't worry that's not what I replied, but you get my point.

So I will take what I can get and see life as filled with unexpected twists and turns.

  • Getting a sunny call from a long lost friend whose phone number you had lost.
  • Receiveing a fresh bouqet of edible flowers at work. From your sweet sister.
  • Ordering a latte and being referred to by name every morning.
  • Meeting for lunch with friends at an expensive restaurant.
  • Taking a much needed trip to another country and getting an allergic reaction to foreign Mosquitos 



No comments:

Post a Comment