Monday, August 8, 2011

No A/C? During 100 Degree Weather?!




I began my day with my daily ritual this morning
, walking to my workstation, logging on, and clicking on Internet Explorer for my daily news recap.

I skipped Tyra Bank's fashion mishap, America's best cities for ice cream, and the ridiculous wedding dresses made from...balloons (ok, well not entirely skipped, but still).

As sad and embarrased as I am to say... I was about to overlook the article labeled "Crisis in Somalia". To begin with, I didn't even know where Somalia was located on the map. As it is, I have problems picturing where Central America is (alright, I know where Central America is, but you get my point). So I did the only thing a curious girl with sympathy for the people living in Third World countries could do:

I googled Somalia and found out Somalia is in Africa, near Ethiopia.

I googled their weather and found their weather for today to be 96 degrees, but feels like 103.

I almost googled whether or not they have air conditioner, but thought better of it.
And I was overwhelmed by the severity of the situation. 11.5 million people are without food or water. The nation has reached the point of famine... starvation. The point of emergency assistance. Not to mention the desperation due to heat.

...This past weekend took me to Aurora, Illinois, where I saw Josue Yrion preach. This man is a widely-recognized missionary who has traveled to more than 70 countries to preach the gospel. There, on my cushioned bench, I was able to learn 2 devastating things about myself:

1. I don't know God. I may feel Him. I may read stories about Him. But don't know even a fourth of who God really is. And that is such a terrible loss. I am losing out. All because I don't read the Bible enough.

2. I don't love souls enough. The passion that Jesus had on the cross should be in me. But I think twice before preaching to anyone. To show how far my "sympathy" runs...

3. And I guess I'll add a third for the fun of it. Cushioned seats increase body heat. What does that have to do with me? It is possible for me to sweat even with a high velocity fan hitting the back of my head.  
The fact that I even mentioned the third above shows you what a selfless missionary I would be.
But I am working on it. I promise
...I promise I will read Bible passages I have never read before. Even if it means waking up earlier each morning to do so. Even if my sleep is at stake, I will prevail.
I will even memorize all the books of the Bible in order and remember them, even if it kills me...

1 comment:

  1. I was very impacted by the preaching too,and it just brought me back to what I've been dealing with these past weeks. Selfishness, maturity and living for others. Its a hard pill to swallow.

    ReplyDelete