Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas Time, the Grinchy Baker, and The Pinterest Bake Off...

Dear Readers...

I woke up this morning thinking: It's Christmas. A dedicated blogger would write a blog right about now. So without further delay...

I want to say something inspirational and funny. Really, I do. But all I could think of right now is the unbelievably Grinchy baker I came across yesterday, as she obsessively tried her hand at making something for the church baking competition. (Needless to say her name), this (very inexperienced) baker had spent the full week creating desserts that were quite impressive. But baking day came, and with that a lot of anxiety and bad luck. So Good-ole mom had to come to the rescue and take over.

Ladies and gentlemen, that over the top, OCD'd, Pinterest-obssesed baker was Me.

Jesus is the reason for the season, is He not? Well as it turns out, I spent an exorbitant amount of more time thinking about baking disasters than well... Jesus. Ok, so these were my thoughts as I prepped for baking:

It's Christmas. Be happy, you big, green Grinch. You should be thinking about Jesus. Remember? The birth of our Savior? Ok, I'll think Jesus. The healer of my soul. The man who fed crowds with loaves of bread made from heaven. Ahhhhhhh.... Jesus would be so disappointed in my baking! He must've been a fantastic baker here on earth... The Pioneer Woman is testimony to how a good, Christian woman should bake!!

So that clearly didn't go as planned. I know, I know... How pathetic! Here's the good news: Jesus came for us pathetic creatures, too. And I invite all of us to forget picture perfect Pinterest-y things for today. Life is messy and takes unexpected turns at unexpected times. And you know, that makes life kinda fun. And it makes us better people. It helps us appreciate Jesus and how lucky we are to still be loved by Him. Jesus is into Grinchy people. He loves listening to them and observing. Because he knows that eventually... those Grinchy people will realize that all there is to do is let go. And let Him.

Merry Christmas fellow Grinches ;) Now, a shout out to the picture-perfect Pinterest clan! (I aspire to join the club soon)...

No comments:

Post a Comment