Thursday, December 22, 2016

Not One, but Three Free Lattes?!

I stopped by Dunkin donuts on my way home from work today. And I walked in not really knowing what I'd decide to order. The young man at the counter asked me what I was having. And it's like my heart spoke for me. My heart-wandering soul spoke for me:

"1 medium Jamoca almond fudge shake" I said smiling.

"Are you sure?" Maybe I looked like I was having an internal battle. And I was. Truly. 

"No, make that a small." He looked at me skeptically. The young man at the counter was scrutinizing me. And he somehow was getting away with dissecting my thoughts. So he smiled and said:

"If you say so. How about a donut with that?" 

To which I said: "Um?"

"Ok, which one?" He said. 

"Sugared. Just one." And he grabbed three and put them in the bag for me. Yep , it's like he knew me, alright. And I just laughed. Out loud. Letting out my frustration of the day. All in one embarrassed laughter. 

He charged me for one donut and a small shake. 

And when I went back to my vehicle with a smile so big I couldn't hide, I shut the door and held back the tears. It was like a secret message had just been transported to me from a place far, far away. Well, more like someplace deep within my heart. It was a small voice saying: 

"Darling, I care. And I know. And I'm in love with your quirks and false modesty for free food. I understand what you mean behind a "just one donut, please" and it makes me smile. And it makes every tear, every heartache worthwhile. Because I am completely devoted to your well being and happiness. And if it takes a couple of free donuts, then that's what I'm all about."

And as if that wasn't enough, I remembered the evening lunch that had been delivered to me at work by a thankful client the day before. The free Drink a thoughtful barista refused to charge me for. The third time in the week. 

You know, sometimes we just want to hear what we want to hear. Or have happen what we want to happen. Our way. Our timing. But ultimately, we begin to miss out on the really awesome things God gives us day by day. So, I'll take it. Every feee donut. Every smile. Every kind gesture from random strangers. 

It's enough, God. You're enough. 

You're enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment